NMN Ban – The Key Points
The FDA has stated that β-NMN (Beta-Nicotinamide Mononucleotide) or Beta NMN is not a dietary supplement.
- Beta NMN is the most common form of NMN sold in the U.S. and across the world
The reason is because Beta NMN is being investigated as a drug.
- Metro International Biotech, a pharmaceutical company with Dr. David Sinclair as a co-founder, has submitted a new drug investigation (IND) for MIB-626, a propriety form of Beta NMN
- The date of the IND is unknown, as the FDA will not disclose that
The FDA Approved NMN as a Dietary Supplement Prior to Back-tracking and Reversing It.
- The FDA provided SyncoZymes an approval notice for NMN as a new dietary ingredient in June of 2022
- They basically back-tracked and later stated that it was not a dietary supplement, “based on new information”
MIB-626 is a Proprietary Form of Beta NMN.
- People are questioning how the FDA can ban standard Beta NMN when MIB-626 is a totally different product and proprietary ingredient
- This is one issue that needs to be addressed and investigated
There are numerous possible outcomes.
- The situation could remain the same and NMN may end up banned across the U.S.
- Or, many are hoping that it will get resolved at least in the same way that the NAC-ban situation was resolved, allowing for companies to continue selling NMN in the U.S.
The Current Situation Is Up In The Air.
- U.S. Companies are still actively selling NMN supplements
- This is already causing a surge in sales & some stock issues are happening due to panic-buying
IS NMN still being sold in the u.s.?
Yes. Most U.S. companies are still selling NMN, because the situation with the FDA is ongoing. The FDA has yet to advise companies they must stop selling it.
IS NMN LEGAL?
It’s tricky because the situation is ongoing. But, recently the FDA stated that beta-nicotinamide mononucleotide (β-NMN) is not a legal dietary ingredient. The supplement NAC was also deemed to not be a legal dietary ingredient by the FDA, but later it was allowed to be sold by companies in the U.S. It is possible that the same will occur with NMN. Nothing has been finalized yet and until it is, companies will continue to sell NMN.
is nmn safe?
A single study in humans showed no safety concerns, with oral doses of 100, 250 and 500 mg of NMN. There have been 12 human studies to date and many more mouse studies on NMN.